1. You live in the Eastern suburbs and have never crossed the bridge to the northern suburbs... ever. Why would you?
2. You live on the North Shore and have never crossed the bridge to the Eastern suburbs or Inner West... ever. Why would you?
3. You live on the Northern Beaches and you hardly ever leave (You can also substitute 'The Shire' for the 'Northern Beaches' and ask the same question).
4. You live in Sydney's West and think everyone who lives in Sydney's East and Sydney's North are snobs. You're right, they probably are.
5. Except for work, you try to live the rest of your life in a 5 kilometre radius because Sydney traffic is atrocious.
This city is soo hectic!
6. Also, you can never find a parking spot anywhere. Especially at shopping centres.
7. You dread finding out where your kids will be playing Saturday morning sport as it could take you up to three hours to get there.
Ah, the traffic!
8. The catchment areas for your local schools are discussed at length with other mums at birthday parties and playgroup, and every time you move house before your kids start school you'll check which school you're zoned for.
Who can afford to live in this city?
9. The cost of childcare fees in your local area will rival your mortgage payments.
10. You decide to take your kids to the beach on Sunday morning and while you can probably find a park if you're early enough, you will end up paying approximately $50 per hour to the council for the honour of parking there, and you will receive an approximate total of $450 in parking fines for over-staying your welcome by 15 minutes.
11. You hear on the news that if you just forgo your morning take-away coffee every day for a year, you could literally save $1 million dollars. Still, your morning coffee is too important to give up!
12. If you do actually manage to move from renting to owning property, you will be approximately 120 years old before you manage to pay the mortgage.
It's raining bills
13. You consider moving to the Central Coast, South Coast or Blue Mountains, to save money and live more affordably but decide it's better the devil you know. And you'll never get back into the Sydney property market!
14. You take your family of 4 to the movies and it costs approximately $500 (and that's just for the adult tickets and the small popcorn / drink combo). It will cost an extra $150 to buy tickets for your children under 5 and pay for their popcorn in a cup that has the latest Disney character on it. Better get saving!
Lifestyle - the reason you probably can't fathom living anywhere but Sydney (despite all of the above).
15. You have a love-hate relationship with public transport. A late train can ruin your day, but a ferry ride into the city looking at the Harbour Bridge can remind you of how amazing Sydney is.
16. You are invited to try a new park by your mothers' group and your first question is, "Where can I get coffee?" No coffee, no play.
17. Active wear is a completely valid form of dress at any time of the day. You definitely don't have to be going to the gym to wear it. It's comfy and makes you look sporty even if you aren't.
19. You can't help but get into the spirit at events such as Vivid, Sculptures by the Sea, City to Surf and Carols in the Domain. They're exclusive to Sydney and even though they're always crowded, they provide a ton of atmosphere and culture.